Dec. 21, 2012
||NORTHERN ILLINOIS AT WASHINGTON
Saturday, Dec. 22| 4:00 pm (PT) | Alaska Airlines Arena
Live Stats | TV: Pac-12 Net | Radio: 1150 AM KKNW
• UW-Northern Illinois Notes
NOTE: Fans arriving to the arena 60 minutes before tip off will be able to watch the Washington-Boise State football game on the big screen, plus TV’s throughout the concourse.
SEATTLE - Washington (7-4) will embark on a school-first starting this Saturday when they play back-to-back games against schools that share the Husky mascot. UW is 0-3 all-time against Husky teams -- all losses coming to UConn -- who they play on Dec. 29 in Hartford. UW carries a season-long three-game win streak and can finally say they have their complete roster. Saturday’s game is their eighth-straight in Seattle. Tip-off on is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. and will be carried on the Pac-12 Network with Kevin Calabro and former Husky great Detlef Schrempf on the call. Locally, the game will be will be moved from the Husky basketball radio affiliate KJR to KKNW 1150 AM due to UW’s football game vs. Boise State. Steve Sandmeyer and Jason Hamilton will call the action for radio. In addition, GoHuskies.com will host an exclusive live chat.
• Four Division I schools have Huskies as their mascot: Washington, Northern Illinois, Connecticut and Northeastern. In addition several other colleges utilize the Husky as their mascot: St. Cloud State, Michigan Tech and Bloomsburg.
• Thursday’s game vs. Cal Poly marked the first time this season that Washington has had all 10 of its scholarship players healthy and able to play in the same game.
• UW ranks last in the Pac-12 allowing its opponent 13.2 offensive rebounds per game, but against Cal Poly they allowed the Mustangs only 3 -- the lowest total this season and just the third time an opponent has had under 10 in a game.
• C.J. Wilcox has scored 20+ in six of the last 7 games and is the only Husky to score 10 or more points in all 11 games. Aziz N’Diaye has scored in double digits in each of the last 6 games to set a new career-long streak.
• Wilcox moved past Isaiah Thomas on Thursday to 3rd all-time in UW history with 165 career 3-point makes.
• Scott Suggs is averaging 18 ppg over the last 4 games since returning from a sprained right foot. Overall, he is 2nd among Huskies averaging 20.5 points per 40 minutes played.
• UW is 6-0 when they shoot 50% from the field, 1-4 when under 50%. So far this season, none of their opponents have shot over 50%. UW is 0-3 when its opponents shoots higher than 45%.
• Desmond Simmons has now grabbed 59 rebounds over the last five games to averaged 11.8 during that span. His tear has raised his season average to 8.5 per game and ranks him 5th in the Pac-12, one spot behind teammate Aziz N’Diaye (9.5).
UW vs. Northern Illinois/Mid-American Conference
The two teams have never met. Northern Illinois is the second team that Washington has played that shares the Husky mascot. UConn is the other team, who Washington faces next time out on Dec. 29. Washington is 5-1 all-time against schools from the Mid-Amercian Conference. The last time the Huskies face a MAC team was in Nov. 17, 2001 when they beat Bowling Greenm 81-74, in the Top of the World Classic in Fairbanks, Alaska. The lone UW loss to a team from the MAC came to Miami of Ohio in the 1999 NCAA tournament.
Scouting Northern Illinois
Northern Illinois (2-8) is currently the third-least experienced team in the country, behind only Arkansas-Little Rock and Texas ... Abdel Nader is averaging 14.0 points per game in three contests since returning from suspension. Nader is averaging 27.1 points per 40 minutes played ... Antone Christian returned against DePaul (Dec. 16) after missing six games due to injury. In his second game back at Seattle (Dec. 19), Christian scored a season-high 11 points in just 10 minutes of action ... Travon Baker ranks second in the MAC in steals at 2.3 per contest, just 0.1 steals per game behind Kent State’s Chris Evans ... The Huskies lead the conference in offensive rebounding averaging 14.0 offensive boards per game ... Coach Mark Montgomery was a longtime assistant for Tom Izzo at Michigan State before taking the job March 24, 2011. Northern Illinois is 7-34 under Montgomery.
Last Time Out
AP - C.J. Wilcox scored 21 points, and Washington used one of its best defensive efforts of the season to shake pesky Cal Poly 75-62 on Thursday night for the Huskies’ first three-game win streak of the season. Scott Suggs added 12 points for the Huskies, who play one more home game on Saturday against Northern Illinois before beginning a challenging four-game road swing beginning Dec. 29 at Connecticut. Leading by eight at halftime, the Huskies (7-4) held the Mustangs scoreless for nearly 7 minutes early in the second half to build a 20-point lead and coast to the decisive victory. Chris Eversley led Cal Poly (4-6) with 23 points, but the Mustangs were unable to pull off the upset on a second Pac-12 school this season after stunning UCLA last month.