Nordstrom Tennis Center
Located just north of Husky Stadium, the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center is one of the Northwest's most modern indoor tennis facilities. The doors of the indoor facility at the University of Washington were opened with dedication ceremonies on June 1, 1989.
The tennis center, sporting six courts, was made possible by a $2.5 million donation from the family of the late Lloyd Nordstrom. Mr. Nordstrom played on the Husky varsity tennis team from 1930-1932 and was noted for his love of the game and his loyalty to the University. Illsley Nordstrom, his wife, said, "My family is proud to honor the memory of Lloyd W. Nordstrom with the presentation of this indoor tennis center to the University of Washington . . . we feel he would be honored and delighted."
All six courts at the Center have been renamed by Husky tennis donors. In 1999, Court Two was renamed Sosnowy Court in honor of the family that donated the first fully endowed scholarship for women's tennis. LaGayle and John Sosnowy established the Sosnowy Family Endowed Tennis Scholarship in recognition of their daughter and former Husky, Kori Sosnowy.
Then later in the summer, the Sosnowy's dedicated Court One to UW's athletic director, naming it Barbara Hedges Court. John, LaGayle and Kori Sosnowy also established the Barbara Hedges Endowed Women's Tennis Scholarship.
The Sosnowy's also dedicated Court Three to UW senior associate athletic director, Marie Tuite. They also established the Marie Tuite Endowed Women's Tennis Scholarship.
Court Four was named the Sedlock Family Court in recognition of the Thomas J. Sedlock Endowed Men's Tennis Scholarship established by Tom and Greta Sedlock.
Court Five was named "Sidney Pinch Court" in August 1990, in recognition of the $100,000 donation made by Pinch to the Washington tennis program. Pinch, a long-time Seattle businessman and Tyee Club member, made the donation to fund, in perpetuity, one tennis scholarship each year.
The last court to be named was Court Six in 2003, named for Neal Dempsey in recognition of the Neal Dempsey Endowed Scholarship.
In addition to the six courts, the complex includes seating for up to 278 spectators, locker rooms, a snack bar and space for other support activities.
The Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center aids the Huskies in recruiting the nation's top competitors to Seattle. Prior to the opening of the tennis center, Husky tennis teams rented indoor courts for use during periods of cold and inclement weather.
In September of 1989, the Nordstrom Center was selected by the USTA's Technical Committee as one of the outstanding tennis facilities for 1989.
The USTA Facility Awards Program, now in its 20th year, was established to stimulate high standards in the construction industry and then to recognize facilities which make such a positive statement about the vitality of the game.
The tennis facility is used primarily as a competition and practice site for the Husky varsity men's and women's tennis teams. The center has also been made available to UW students, staff and faculty as scheduling permits.
The upstairs viewing area provides a variety of seating as well as tables. The facility is fully accessible; our elevator services both the mezzanine, lobby, and court levels.
We sell cans of Wilson Tennis Balls, Husky Tennis gear and have a few rackets and shoes that can be borrowed for $1 + restringing fee if the string breaks and/or racket replacement fee if broken. We also restring rackets and have a selection of Solinco String that you can buy as well.