ATHENS, Ga. – The 36th-ranked University of Washington men’s tennis team fell to No. 40 Stanford, 4-2, on Saturday morning at the ITA Kick-off Weekend hosted by the University of Georgia.
The Dawgs easily won the doubles point with Michael Chamerski and Wendell Watanabe taking a 6-0 victory over Trey Strobel and Jamin Ball. Their win was followed by Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke’s 6-3 triumph over John Morrissey and Maciek Romanowicz.
In singles action, Jeff Hawke picked up the Dawgs lone victory with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over Trey Strobel which at the time pulled the UW within one point at 3-2 but Viktor Farkas’ results on the fifth court proved to be the clincher. Farkas fell 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 to Anthony Tsodikov as the Cardinal won their ninth-straight over the Huskies.
The Dawgs continue their road trip at the ITA Kick-Off as they will take on Columbia on Sunday in Athens.
Stanford vs Washington
Jan 25, 2014 at Athens, Ga.
#40 Stanford 4, #36 Washington 2
1. John Morrissey (STAN) def. Max Manthou (WASH) 6-3, 6-5 (7-4)
2. Daniel Ho (STAN) def. Emmett Egger (WASH) 6-2, 6-2
3. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) def. Gal Hakak (WASH) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jeff Hawke (WASH) def. Trey Strobel (STAN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) def. Viktor Farkas (WASH) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
6. Daffra Sanon (WASH) vs. Robert Stineman (STAN) 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
1. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (WASH) def. John Morrissey/Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) 6-3
2. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (WASH) vs. Daniel Ho/Robert Stineman (STAN) 3-5, unfinished
3. Michael Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (WASH) def. Trey Strobel/Jamin Ball (STAN) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,1,4,5)
Doubles clinched at 9:30 a.m. (30 minutes); singles clinched at 12:30 p.m. (2 hours, 45 minutes)
Official: Clark Weaver