OJAI, Calif. – The University of Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision to seventh-seeded Oregon on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the Pac-12 Championships held on the Libby Courts in Ojai, Calif. The Dawgs wrap up the season with an 11-13 record and a 2-5 mark in Pac-12 regular season play.
“I was pretty confident going into the match, playing Oregon again after having just faced them,” said head coach Matt Anger. “ We made a lot of progress this year but we did not play nearly as sharp today as we have been which was obviously costly.”
The two teams, who split their two meetings earlier this season, had a tightly fought doubles battle with Oregon winning 8-4 on court three and UW’s Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke, ranked 78th nationally, taking an 8-5 victory on court one to move their season total to 9-7 at number one doubles. Oregon went on to take the doubles point with an 8-5 win on court two over Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou.
“I think the real difference for us today is that I think we had a real opportunity in doubles and we didn’t get it,” added Anger. “We had a bunch of opportunities to get back in those matches and we didn’t capitalize.”
The Ducks jumped out to a 3-0 lead following doubles play with wins on court one and six. But the Dawgs rallied back as senior Manthou picked up a 6-4, 7-5 straight-sets win over Kevin Farin followed by Farkas’ 6-4, 6-4 victory of Joey Swaysland to cut the UO lead to 3-2.
“Max and Viktor were very solid,” said Anger. “Even though Max stumbled a little bit in that second set, he executed well, concentrated and was able to get us that point. Viktor won a lot of close games and was able to keep that match in straight sets which helped us out.”
The final two matches of the day each went to three sets for the second-straight match with Oregon eventually winning on court three over Gal Hakak. The Ducks’ Daan Maasland won the first set 6-3, but Hakak picked up a 6-3 win in set two to even things up heading in the third set where Maasland went on to win 6-3 ending the match.
No. 7 Oregon def. No. 6 Washington, 4-2
1. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (WASH) def. Robin Cambier/Kevin Farin (ORE), 8-5
2. Daan Maasland/Joey Swaysland (ORE) def. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (WASH), 8-5
3. Daniel Sardu/Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Michael Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (WASH), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Robin Cambier (ORE) def. Emmett Egger (WASH), 6-4, 6-3
2. Max Manthou (WASH) def. Kevin Farin (ORE), 6-3, 7-5
3. Daan Maasland (ORE) def. Gal Hakak (WASH), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) vs. Jeff Hawke (WASH), 6-2, 3-6, 5-2 unfinished
5. Viktor Farkas (WASH) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Rish Raman (WASH), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,5,3