EUGENE, Ore. – The University of Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision to the No. 43 Oregon Ducks in a non-conference match Friday in Eugene. The Dawgs are now 6-5 on the season and continue their road swing in Oregon as they face No. 15 Boise State on Saturday at 1 p.m.
“It was a tough match for us and the other team played better, but hopefully we can learn from it and continue to improve,” said head coach Matt Anger. “Our challenge and our opportunity is that we get to turn around and play again tomorrow in another good non-conference match.”
Oregon claimed the doubles point with wins in the number two and three spots. Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou fell 8-2 to Joey Swasyland and Daan Maasland while Wendell Watanabe and Michael Chamerski were defeated 8-4 by Daniel Sardu and Jayson Amos.
Heading into singles, the Huskies got on the board with Emmett Egger’s 6-4, 6-3 win over Joey Swaysland at the number four spot. The victory pulled the Dawgs within one at 2-1, but Oregon was able to take the next two singles matches en route to the 4-1 win.
“We never like to lose but with such a young team, every match is helping us progress,” Anger added. “ You certainly learn things from a loss and if we can continue to identify what we need to work on, that will help us down the road as we get closer to the start of conference play.”
As previously mentioned, the Dawgs will have a quick turnaround as they face the 15th-ranked Broncos at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 1 in Eugene.
No. 43 Oregon (10-1) 4, Washington (6-5) 1
1. Cambier-Farin (ORE) vs. Egger-Hawke (UW) 7-5, UF
2. Swaysland-Maasland (ORE) def. Farkas-Manthou (UW) 8-2
3. Sardu-Amos (ORE) def. Watanabe-Chamerski (UW) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. Robin Cambier (ORE) vs. Max Manthou (UW) 5-7, 6-2, 0-1, DNF
2. Kevin Farin (ORE) def. Gal Hakak (UW) 6-2, 7-5
3. Daan Maasland (ORE) vs. Jeff Hawke (UW) 3-6, 6-3, 0-1, DNF
4. Emmett Egger (UW) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-4, 6-3
5. Daniel Sardu (ORE) def. Michael Chamerski (UW) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Daffra Sanon (UW) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 4, 2, 5