UW Huskies (12-8, 4-3) vs. Oregon State (11-7, 3-3)
The Huskies continue their weekend against the Oregon schools hosting OSU on Sat., Jan. 25 at 2 p.m.
The Huskies (12-8, 4-3) continue their week against the Oregon schools as they host Oregon State (11-7, 3-3) on Saturday, Jan. 25 at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network with J.B. Long and Ernie Kent on the call. For the Washington IMG Sports Radio Network, fans can tune in to hear Bob Rondeau and Jason Hamilton with the pregame show starting at 1:30. The Huskies will be participating in the annual ‘Coaches vs. Cancer’ initiative to raise awareness for cancer research by wearing tennis shoes vs. OSU.
Head Coach Lorenzo Romar, in his 12th year at Washington, has amassed a 249-136 (.646) during his time in Seattle and an overall mark of 341-224 (.604) in 18 seasons. Romar has taken the Huskies to the NCAA tournament six times including three Sweet 16 appearances.
• The Huskies are 17-7 against Oregon State under head coach Lorenzo Romar and hold a 155-138 all-time mark on the Ducks.
• C.J. Wilcox has more 3-pointers (25) in Pac-12 play than all seven of the Huskies’ have made combined (20).
• In three Pac-12 home games, C.J. Wilcox is averaging 22.7 ppg and shooting 61.5 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from 3-point range
• The Huskies are 10-0 this season when leading with five minutes remaining
• Senior C.J. Wilcox is just nine points away from becoming the seventh UW player in program history to reach 1,700 points
• With a win against the Beavers, head coach Lorenzo Romar would pick up his 250th win at UW ... additionally the Huskies all-time win mark (1,696) would inch closer to 1,700.
• The Huskies, picked to finish eighth in the league, currently sit tied for fourth in conference play
• All three of the Huskies top three scorers are guards ... making them one of just two teams (WSU) in the conference with their top three scoring leaders playing the guard position
• The Huskies have taken care of the ball this season and have turned it over 10 or less times in 10 of their 20 games, including a season low six turnovers against Stanford - their fewest since six against California on Jan. 9, 2013
• The Dawgs picked up their first win over a ranked opponent since 2011 with their victory over #15 Colorado ... the last time UW beat a ranked team was in the 2011 Pac-10 Tournament as Isaiah Thomas hit a bucket at the buzzer to defeat #16 Arizona (March 12)
• The Huskies have held six of their last eight opponents without a FG for a span of at least five minutes (Oregon-6:15 in 1st; Colorado-5:38 in 2nd; Utah-7:14 in 1st; Arizona- 5:34 in 1st; ASU-9:14 between 1st and 2nd half; Hartford- 8:27 in 1st).
• Senior C.J. Wilcox is one of just two players (Isaiah Thomas) in UW history to record 1,600 career points and 150 3-pointers and is the only player with 1,600 points and 250 made 3’s
The Huskies have stepped their defense up since Pac-12 play started, allowing opponents just 69.1 points per game and 44.0 percent shooting from the field. Prior to league action, the Huskies were giving up 79.2 ppg and letting foes shoot 49.6 percent. Since then, UW’s seven Pac-12 opponents have shot a combined 20-of-85 from 3-point range (23.5 percent). Additionally, UW has held six of its last eight opponents without a FG for a span of at least five minutes (Oregon-6:15 in 1st; Colorado-5:38 in 2nd; Utah -7:14 in 1st; Arizona- 5:34 in 1st; ASU-9:14 between 1st and 2nd half; Hartford- 8:27 in 1st).
Free Throws Count
With the new rules changes for the 2013-14 season, the Huskies knew shooting well from the FT line was going to have an impact on a lot of game outcomes, which was very true against EWU. The Huskies went 31-of-34 against the Eagles, including a 21-of-23 mark during the second half as UW retook the lead for the win. Through 20 outings, the Huskies are second in the Pac-12 and 20th in the NCAA (as of Jan. 23) in FT percentage, shooting 75.3 from the charity stripe.
UW vs. Oregon Notes (Jan. 23)
-Starting Lineup: Nigel Williams-Goss, Andrew Andrews, C.J. Wilcox, Mike Anderson, Perris Blackwell
-UW held its 10th opponent of the season to 3 or fewer 3-pointers and its sixth in the last seven games
-The Huskies snapped a three-game losing streak to the Ducks
- The Huskies scored their most points since 95 against Mississippi Valley State (Jan. 27)
-UW won its fourth game of the season decided by five or less points.
-Senior C.J. Wilcox recorded his ninth 20+ scoring effort of the season with game-high 23 points
-Wilcox had just nine points with 12 minutes remaining in the 2nd half
-Wilcox added three assists, three blocks, three steals and three rebounds
- Sophomore Andrew Andrews recorded his 13th double-digit scoring effort of the season with 17 points
-Sophomore Andrew Andrews tied his career-high with six assists
- Senior Perris Blackwell scored his most points since 17 against Mississippi Valley State (Dec. 27)