UW Huskies (9-5, 0-0) vs No. 1 Arizona (14-0, 1-0)
The Huskies continue their Arizona road swing as they face top-ranked Arizona at 11 a.m. PT on Saturday.
The Huskies continue their opening Pac-12 weekend as they face top-ranked Arizona (14-0, 1-0) at the McKale Center on Saturday, Jan. 4 at 11 a.m. PT. The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network with J.B. Long and Don MacLean on the call. For the Washington IMG Radio Network, fans can tune into hear Bob Rondeau and Jason Hamilton on KJR 950 AM. The Huskies are 13-12 vs. Arizona under coach Romar. The last time UW faced a No. 1 team was Dec. 31, 2006 (96-74 L at UCLA). The last time UW defeated a No. 1 team was March 6, 2004 (75-62 W vs. Stanford).
Head Coach Lorenzo Romar, in his 12th year at Washington, has amassed a 246-133 (.649) during his time in Seattle and an overall mark of 339-221 (.605) in 18 seasons. Romar has taken the Huskies to the NCAA tournament six times including three Sweet 16 appearances.
• The Huskies’ FT percentage of 76.9 is their best under head coach Lorenzo Romar through 14 games and currently ranks sixth in the NCAA ... the Huskies have shot under 75 percent from the line just five times this season
• The Huskies are 1-1 when facing No. 1 ranked teams under Coach Romar and 2-27 all-time, with 20 of those 29 meetings coming before 1975 (17 of which were against UCLA)
•The Huskies are opening Pac-12 play on the road for the third time in the last four seasons ... additionally, they are one of four Pac-12 schools to play four of their first six league contests on the road (WSU, Oregon, California).
• All three of the Huskies top three scorers are guards ... making them one of just two teams (WSU) in the conference with their top three scoring leaders playing the guard position
• Just four of the Huskies’ 12 active players had seen action in Pac-12 conference games (Wilcox, Andrews, Kemp, Jr., Simmons) prior to the league opener at ASU
• The Huskies are 6-0 in Pac-12 openers over the last six years and hold a 10-1 record in their opening two games of the season during that time heading into Saturday’s game ... the Huskies have won their first two games of conference action in each of the last three seasons
• Scoring has been coming from all over this year for the Huskies with at least four guys reaching double figures in 10 of 14 games ... additionally, five guys have reached double-figures five times this season ... this happened just four times in all of 2012-13 and twice in 2011-12.
• Sophomore Andrew Andrews is averaging 17.0 points over the last three outings, while shooting 40.6 percent from the field, 81.5 percent from the FT line and averaging 9 FT attempts per game
• Junior Desmond Simmons saw his first action of the season against No. 10 UConn since he underwent knee surgery on Nov. 7 ... he’s been the sixth man off the bench in the Huskies last three outings.
• Freshman Nigel Williams-Goss’ asst-to-TO ratio of 1.5 (57 ast/37 TO) is the second best by a league frosh
• Senior C.J. Wilcox is quickly moving up the UW record book as he is now eighth all-time in scoring with 1,576 points, ... he also set the UW school record for 3-pointers made after nailing three against LBSU passing Ryan Appleby’s record of 231 (2006-08)... he’s now at 254 career 3-pointers made
• Senior C.J. Wilcox is currently ninth in the Pac-12 for career 3-point FGs made (254), passing Cal’s Jerome Randle (252; 2007-10) and ASU’s Eddie House (250; 1997-2000).
• Freshman Nigel Williams-Goss was one of four freshmen nationally selected to the Bob Cousy Award Watch List and one of seven selected overall from the Pac-12.
UW vs. ASU Notes (Jan. 2)
-Starting Lineup: Nigel Williams-Goss, Andrew Andrews, C.J. Wilcox, Mike Anderson, Perris Blackwell
-UW had its biggest lead of the season at 24 points late in the second half
-UW held ASU to a season-low 23 points in the first half
-The Huskies had five players reach double figures for the fifth time this season and the first time since Nov. 30, 2013 v. Montana
-The Huskies held ASU without a FG from 8:12 in the first half to 18:58 in the second half
-The Huskies held ASU to a season-low two from 3-point range
- Senior C.J. Wilcox posted his 16th-straight 15+scoring effort of the season with a team-high 17 points
-Wilcox connected on six from the field for the fourth-straight game and for the 10th time this season
-Sophomore Andrew Andrews made his first career Pac-12 start and scored 14 points on 50 percent shooting from the field for his third-straight double-digit scoring effort
- Freshman Nigel Williams-Goss co-led the team in rebounding with seven ... he’s averaged 6.0 boards per game over the last three outings
- Freshman Darin Johnson scored his most points with 10 since he had 13 against UConn.