Husky Green Team
Husky Green Team
The University of Washington Athletic Department's sustainability program was launched in July of 2010. The program was devised to develop strategic sustainability plans for the Athletic Department, work collaboratively with student and campus groups, measure energy usage and waste diversion, implement projects that conserve resources and energy, and create awareness of and participation in our initiatives by the Husky community and partners.
UPCOMING SUSTAINABILITY GAMES
This season we are proud to announce that we will be hosting three sustainability events for men's basketball, women's basketball, and gymnastics. At these games we will be promoting our new goals, which strive to reduce our overall waste impact at sporting events.
The Athletic Department's sustainability committee, better known as the "Green Team," includes members from across the University campus and within the Athletic Department. The Green Team rolled out exciting new waste diversion initiatives during the 2010 Husky Football season including creating a new green logo, adding in-game video messaging and green minute promotion, adding compost bins, and participating in the EPA Game Day challenge.
The new slogan and logo, "Go Purple, Be Gold & Green" can be seen throughout the Athletic Department facilities on the recycling bins. T-shirts, buttons, and hats are also worn by volunteers and ushers to promote the new initiatives at home sporting events.
2012 SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE
- Aubrey Batchelor, Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability, Program Coordinator
- Carter Henderson, Assistant Athletic Director, Public Relations
- Crista St. John, Senior Account Executive, Washington IMG Sports Marketing
- Dan Gaston, Event and Operations Manager
- Dean Pearson, Facilities and Fields, Gardener Lead
- Emily Newcomer, Recycling Program Manager
- Jessica Veris, Assistant Director, Sports Operations and Waterfront Manager
- Karen Baebler, Assistant Athletic Director, Sports Operations
- Rebecca Teel, Intern & Student- Program for the Environment
- Ryan Madayag, Director of Marketing & Game Day Experience
- Suzanne Anderson, Student- Athlete Academic Services, Program Supervisor
GREEN SPORTS ALLIANCE
The UW Athletic Department joined the Green Sports Alliance in 2011 and was one of the first collegiate organizations to join the Alliance. The Green Sports Alliance is a non-profit organization founded to help sports teams enhance their environmental performance. The Alliance supports UW athletics sustainability efforts by offering ideas and strategies to become more environmentally responsible and efficient.
The University of Washington Athletic Department is in the midst of a $250 million stadium renovation. The renovated Husky stadium will re-open for the 2013 Husky Football season. The project includes a 70,000 square foot Football Operations Building seeking LEED Gold Certification.