Husky Pool served as the Northwest's premier swim complex from 1937 until the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center was built for the 1990 Goodwill Games. The venerable Husky Pool, located on the east wing of Edmundson Pavilion, has hosted many significant competitions, including the 1948 and 1961 NCAA Championships.
Prior to 1937, the Husky men's swim team practiced and held meets at Hutchinson Hall on upper campus as far back as 1932. The UW committed to providing the finest swimming pool of its kind, constructing Husky Pool with funds gained from Washington's share in the 1937 Rose Bowl game, augmented by state and federal grants. The official dedication took place Mar. 24, 1937, when the Huskies swept through all opposition to win their first Pacific Coast Conference Northern Division swimming title.
The ample spectator seating (1,000), functional locker rooms, intricate cleaning system and standard pool dimensions made Husky Pool the toast of the swim world. It still is among the best dual-meet facilities in the Northwest.
The pool has changed with the times and now utilizes a computerized, electronic timing system that ensures accurate, instantaneous race results.
King County Aquatics Center
Serving as a second home for the Husky swimmers is a world-class facility, the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center.
Located in Federal Way, the Aquatic Center was built to accomodate the 1990 Goodwill Games swimming and diving events. The facility features eight nine-foot lanes 25-yards in length. Seating for up to 2,500 specators and ample deck space for athletes and coaches along with an Omega electronic timing devices makes this one of the finest aquatics arenas in the nation.
Washington utilizes this alternate venue for several meets each season, including the Husky Relays, Husky Invitational and Washington Open.