April 26, 2006
Palm Desert, Calif. -
The 30th-ranked Washington men's golf team finished second at the 47th Pac-10 Championship, carding a final-round 12-over 367 for a total score of 12-over 1432. UCLA won the title with an even-par 1420 after shooting 6-over 361 in round four.
Washington's Erik Olson, the 2005 Pac-10 Individual Champion, placed in the Top-5 for the second-straight year, shooting 1-under 70 in the final round to finish third at 3-under 281. Joining him in the Top-10 was 2005 NCAA Champion James Lepp, who placed eighth at even-par 284 after shooting 1-over 72 on the afternoon.
"I'm proud of the way the guys competed this week," said Washington head coach Matt Thurmond. "UCLA played very well - they're a very good team.
"I thought Erik played great. Coming back as the defending champion, there was a lot of pressure on him and he handled it extremely well. And the team did too. We came down here to defend our title and we were in the final group. We finished in second place, so we put up a good fight."
Alex Prugh and Zach Bixler joined Olson and Lepp in the Top-20. Prugh shot 3-over 74 in the fourth round, good for a composite score of 4-over 288 and 14th place in the field. Bixler shot 7-over 78 on the day and finished 17th at 6-over 290. Sterling Clark carded a 2-over 73 in the final round and placed 35th at 13-over 297. Joe Panzeri's 7-over 78 put him in 40th at 16-over 300.
"We're going to take a lot of confidence from this," said Thurmond. "We'll build on it. We've got a lot of things to work on, and we'll definitely be hungry going to NCAA Regionals."
Washington will likely tee off next at the NCAA Men's Golf West Regional, which takes place in Tucson, Ariz., May 18-20.
Big Horn Country Club
Palm Desert, Calif.
Par-71, 7,009 yards
1. UCLA 349-348-362-361-1420
2. Washington 352-352-361-367-1432
3. Arizona State 367-360-349-361-1437
4. USC 364-354-365-359-1442
5. Arizona 360-363-353-368-1444
6. Stanford 358-369-359-360-1446
7. California 371-372-365-371-1479
8. Oregon State 361-369-372-382-1484
9. Washington State 371-374-373-379-1497
10. Oregon 373-384-373-370-1500
1. Daniel Im, UCLA 67-68-70-72-277
2. Niklas Lemke, Arizona State 66-71-70-71-278
3. Erik Olson, Washington 67-70-74-70-281
4. Alejandro Canizares, Arizona State 75-69-70-68-282
4. Tyler Ley, USC 74-67-71-70-282
6. Rob Grube, Stanford 70-76-68-69-283
6. Chris Heintz, UCLA 70-69-74-70-283
8. James Lepp, Washington 76-65-71-72-284
8. Henry Liaw, Arizona 70-73-69-72-284
10. Dodge Kemmer, Stanford 71-71-70-73-285
10. Jordan Nasser, USC 74-71-70-70-285
3. Erik Olson 67-70-74-70-281
8. James Lepp 76-65-71-72-284
14. Alex Prugh 65-74-75-74-288
17. Zach Bixler 69-74-69-78-290
35. Sterling Clark 76-76-72-73-297
40. Joe Panzeri 75-69-78-78-300