April 14, 2007
BELMONT, Calif. -
The Huskies won nine races on the first day of competition at the Windermere Real Estate Rowing Classic today in Redwood Shores. The UW men's varsity eight, ranked No. 1 in the nation, went undefeated, posting victories over eighth-ranked Wisconsin and 11th-ranked Trinity. The Washington men's freshman eight also collected a pair of wins, while the Husky women's novice eight won its only race of the day against Sacramento State. The remaining Husky crews all picked up one win in their two races.
The men's eight started strong, defeating the Badgers by nearly four seconds. The crew added a victory over Trinity, although times are unavailable. UW will face off against the hosting Stanford Cardinal tomorrow, with the varsity boats pairing in a showdown of No. 1 versus No. 2 at 11:08 a.m.
The Husky men's junior varsity fell in its first race of the day, as Wisconsin took the win, but the UW crew came back with a win over Trinity to cap the day. The freshmen boat posted a pair of wins, with a 12-second win over Wisconsin with a time of 6:06.38. They finished the day with an eight-second victory over Gonzaga.
On the women's side, the Huskies fared well against Louisville to begin the day, as the varsity eight, junior varsity eight and varsity coxed four all picked up wins against the Cardinals. The UW varsity eight, ranked No. 19 in the nation, held off the Louisville crew, completing the 2,000-meter course in 6-minutes and 59.37 seconds. In the second set of races, the Huskies faltered, as Virginia picked up victories in each of the three races. The 13th-ranked Cavaliers went undefeated on the day. The UW novice eight finished the day with a win over Sacramento State.
Competition will resume tomorrow morning on the second and final day at the Windermere Real Estate Rowing Classic. The Washington men will face off against Stanford, while the women will challenge Central Florida. The most updated schedule and live results can be found on the official event website.
Windermere Real Estate Rowing Classic Results
Saturday, April 14, 2007
(UW races only)
Men's Varsity Eight
1. #1 Washington 6:11.95, 2. #8 Wisconsin 6:15.47
1. #1 Washington, 2. #11 Trinity (No Times Available)
Men's Junior Varsity Eight
1. Wisconsin 5:56.47, 2. Washington 6:02.90
1. Washington, 2. Trinity (No Times Available)
Men's Freshman Eight
1. Washington 6:06.38, 2. Wisconsin 6:18.63
1. Washington 6:17.10, 2. Gonzaga 6:25.51
Women's Varsity Eight
1. #19 Washington 6:59.37, 2. Louisville 7:03.64
1. #13 Virginia 7:08.19, 2. #19 Washington 7:17.03
Women's Junior Varsity Eight
1. Washington 7:07.32, 2. Louisville 7:10.13
1. Virginia 7:27.09, 2. Washington 7:42.4
Women's Varsity Coxed Four
1. Washington 7:50.00, 2. Louisville 8:06.81
1. Virginia 7:55.93, 2. Washington 8:12.08
Women's Novice Eight
1. Washington, 2. Sacramento State (No Times Available)