April 29, 2001
EUGENE, Ore. -- While some track athletes represented the Huskies in Iowa, another part of the UW track corps competed in the Oregon Invitational down in Eugene, Ore., Saturday.
Three Washington tracksters earned Pac-10 qualifying marks, while eight recorded season-best marks.
Leading the way for the Husky men was sophomore Brad Walker (Spokane, Wash.) who placed second in the pole vault competition.
Freshman Seth Jens (Coldstrip, Mont.) tacked five feet on to his season-best javelin throw, recording a Pac-10 qualifying mark of 199-0. His previous best (194-0) came at the Eastern Washington Invitational April 20. Junior Tyriff Rudder (San Diego, Calif.) improved his season best mark in the long jump to 21-8 3/4. Rudder tallied his previous best (21-0 3/4) at the Washington State Dual April 7. In his first triple jump action of the season, Rudder leaped a mark of 44-0 3/4.
Red-shirt freshman Kevin deSouza (Oshawa, Ontario) improved his best triple jump mark from 44-2 (recorded at the Washington State Dual) to 44-4 3/4 at the Oregon Invite. Frank Remund (Chehalis, Wash.) tied his season-best high jump of 6-6 3/4.
On the women's side, senior Sarah Peterson (Santa Fe, N.M.) was the top performer at the Oregon Invitational recording career-best 100 and 400-meter hurdle marks, while qualifying for the Pac-10 championships in both events. Her 100-meter hurdle mark of 14.22 topped her previous career-best of 14.34 and season-best of 14.70, recorded at the Oregon Dual, April 14. In the 400-meter event, Peterson topped her previous career best (1:03.41) by more than a second, clocking a 1:02.33 Saturday. Her previous season-best also came in Eugene at the Oregon Dual April 14. Junior MerryJane Bendico (Lynnwood, Wash.) tied her season-best pole vault of 11-5 3/4.
The next action for the Husky track teams will be at the Ohio Quad meet with Kent and Bowling Green in Athens, Ohio, May 5 and the Jesse Owens Invitational in Columbus, Ohio, May 6.
Oregon Invitational, Eugene, Ore.
1. Sarah Peterson 400 Hurd. (B) 1:02.33
2. Sarah Peterson 100m hurdles 14.22
3. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 37-0 1/4
3. Alexis Jaime Pole vault(B) 10-6
6. Courtney Inman 800m (B) 2:16.98
9. MerryJane Bendico Pole Vault 11-5 3/4
9. Kate Spigel Steeplechase 11:14.02
10. Searan Salibian Shot Put (B) 41-1
13. Kameko Gay Shot Put (B) 40-4 1/4
16. Melissa Chapman 800m (B) 2:24.58
2. Brad Walker Pole vault 17-4 1/2
3. Anthony Walters 400m (B) 49.73
6. Tyriff Rudder Long jump 21-8 3/4
6. Anthony Walters 200m (B) 22.63
7. Morgan Thompson 5,000m (B) 15:09.27
8. Mat Schwinn Discus 157-8
9. Seth Jens Javelin 199-0
9. Ben Koss 5,000 (B) 15:20.51
11. Joel Perry High jump 6-6 3/4
11. Doug Jackson Shot put 48-8
12. Kevin deSouza Triple jump 44-4 3/4
12. Frank Remund High jump 6-6 3/4
13. Matt Topping 5,000 (B) 15:40.37
13. Tyriff Rudder Triple jump 44-0 3/4
20. Josh Robinson Javelin 170-6