STOCKTON, Calif. -- The Washington women's tennis team, which jumped 17 spots to No. 39 in the nation in the latest Rolex rankings, did not drop a set in blanking Pacific on Thursday in Stockton, Calif. The win improves the Huskies record to 11-4, while Pacific falls to 5-10.
Freshman Kristina Kraszewski, who moved up to 27th in the nation, downed Bente Grina, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 singles to win her 11th match in 12 outings with an overall record of 22-5. Sophomore Zuzana Stunova, ranked No. 50, defeated Dina Dajani, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 2 singles, and senior Erica Stoloff almost blanked Marcela Sanchez, winning 6-1, 6-1 in the third singles spot.
Sophomore Peggy Wu won in the No. 4 position, beating Kendra Lamb, 6-1, 7-5, and senior Kari Luna handled Diana DAudney, 6-3, 6-3, in the fifth spot. Freshman Hrafnhildur Hannesdottir stopped Sandi Zarina, 6-0, 6-3, for the final singles victory.
In doubles, Wu teamed with senior Kori Sosnowy at the No. 1 position to down Grina/Lamb, 8-6. Kraszewski/Stunova defeated Sanchez/DAudney, 8-5, and Stoloff/Hannesdottir stopped Dajani/Zarina, 8-6.
1) Kristina Kraszewski (UW) def. Bente Grina, 6-1, 6-2
2) Zuzana Stunova (UW) def. Dina Dajani, 6-1, 7-5
3) Erica Stoloff (UW) def. Marcela Sanchez, 6-1, 6-1
4) Peggy Wu (UW) def. Kendra Lamb, 6-1, 7-5
5) Kari Luna (UW) def. Diana DAudney, 6-3, 6-3
6) Hrafnhildur Hannesdottir (UW) def. Sandi Zarina, 6-0, 6-3
1) Kori Sosnowy/Wu (UW) def. Grina/Lamb, 8-6
2) Kraszewski/Stunova (UW) def. Sanchez/DAudney, 8-5
3) Stoloff/Hannesdottir (UW) def. Dajani/Zarina, 8-6