EUGENE, Ore. – The University of Washington men’s tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 15 Boise State on Saturday in Eugene. The Dawgs move to 6-6 on the season and return home to the Nordstrom Tennis Center on Friday, March 7 to face No. 47 Minnesota.
“Well we got into a hole after the doubles point but I thought the guys did a good job of fighting back. We were just in too deep of a hole to win the match,” said head coach Matt Anger. “We know we have to keep making progress which is what we’ll look to do this week heading into our home matches before conference play.”
The Huskies lost the doubles point in three close matches as Boise State won 8-4, 8-6, and 8-6 on courts one, two and three, respectively.
In singles action, two of the matches went to three sets including the lone match won by the Dawgs. Viktor Farkas lost his first set but bounced back to claim a 4-6, 7-6, 10-6 victory. Emmett Egger’s match also took three sets with him going up 7-5, before falling 4-6 and 10-6 in the tiebreaker.
“I know that we made strides and that is what we have to focus on,” said Anger. “ We understand that we have to continue to improve and do so quickly with conference play coming up. We’ll have a good opportunity against Minnesota next weekend.”
The 47th-ranked Gophers will head to the Nordstrom Tennis Center on March 7 for the start of eight-straight home matches for the Dawgs.
“It’s always good to be home but we are just eager to get back to practice,” added Anger. “ Even if we had won these two this weekend, we would still want this young group to get back on the court and continue to improve upon the things we have seen so far this season.”
No. 15 Boise State def. Washington 6-1
1. McClain/Patton (BSU) def. Egger/Hawke (UW), 8-4
2. Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU) def. Manthou/Farkas (UW), 8-6
3. Toby Mitchell/Sereke def. Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (UW), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Max Manthou (UW), 6-1, 7-5
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Gal Hakak (UW), 6-2, 6-4
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jeff Hawke (UW), 6-1, 6-1
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 7-5, 4-6, 10-6
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Michael Chamerski (UW), 6-3 , 6-4
6. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Brian Foley (BSU), 4-6, 7-6, 10-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6