SEATTLE – Freshman Michael Chamerski provided the clinching win in singles as the Husky men’s tennis team handled the Idaho Vandals by a 5-2 score today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The 44th-ranked Huskies moved back to .500 on the season with the win, evening their record at 4-4.
Doubles would hinge on the No. 2 match, where Max Manthou and Viktor Farkas came through with a critical 8-6 win over Odon Barta and Artemiy Nikitin to clinch the point. Earlier, Chamerski and redshirt freshman Wendell Watanabe posted an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles, but Idaho got an 8-5 win at No. 1 from Jose Bendeck and Cristobal Ramos Salazar over Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke.
With the doubles point in hand, the Dawgs took five of the six first sets in singles to seize control. Farkas lost just two games en route to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Cesar Torres at fifth singles, then Manthou ran away with his No. 1 singles match against Barta, 6-4, 6-0.
Chamerski, playing in just his fourth college singles match, got his third straight win, as the Mill Creek, Wash. native beat Matt Oddonetto, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 6 singles. Fellow freshman Gal Hakak also added a fifth point with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles over Nikitin.
"It was good for Max and Viktor to get that win (in doubles)," said Head Coach Matt Anger. "In the singles we knew that they had good guys so we expected a lot of close matches. All those guys are tough. We didn’t get them all, but I was very pleased with Gal’s concentration, his opponent was tough."
Idaho earned a win at fourth singles with Ramos Salazar defeating Hawke, and Emmett Egger was victimized by a third set super-tiebreak loss for the second time this weekend.
Washington Men's Tennis
Nordstrom Tennis Center
February 9, 2014
No. 44 Washington 5, Idaho 2
1) Bendeck/Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def. Egger/Hawke (UW), 8-5
2) Manthou/Farkas (UW) def. Barta/Nikitin (Idaho), 8-6
3) Chamerski/Watanabe (UW) def. Zedde/Oddonetto (Idaho), 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Max Manthou (UW) def. Odon Barta (Idaho), 6-4, 6-0
2) Gal Hakak (UW) def. Artemiy Nikitin (Idaho), 6-3, 6-1
3) Jose Bendeck (Idaho) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 4-6, 7-5, (10-5)
4) Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def. Jeff Hawke (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5) Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Cesar Torres (Idaho), 6-1, 6-1
6) Michael Chamerski (UW) def. Matt Oddonetto (Idaho), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 6, 3, 2