HONOLULU – The University of Washington women’s tennis team picked up its second win of the season as it defeated the 42nd ranked Long Beach State team, 5-2. The Huskies won five of the six singles matches, three of which went to the new ‘super tiebreak’ that was implemented this season.
In the number one match of the day, Elianne Douglas-Miron defeated Ebba Unden in a tightly fought contest, 7-5, 7-5. Julija Lukac, Andjela Nemcevic, Riko Shimizu and Natali Coronel also picked up singles wins at the UH Tennis Complex. Lukac faced Julie Gardard and after dropping the first set, won the next two including a 10-5 super tiebreaker win in the third set. Nemcevic needed just two sets to beat Haley Thompson, 7-56-3 while Shimizu also went to a super tiebreaker winning 6-7, 6-3, 10-6. Additionally, Coronel easily handled Laura Eales 6-1, 6-0.
The Dawgs lost the doubles point as Douglas-Miron/Shimizu fell 7-5 and Coronel/Ysidora dropped their match 6-3. Nemcevic and Lukac easily picked up UW’s lone doubles match with a 6-1 win over Laura Eales and Holly Reid.
Up next for the Dawgs is a match against UNLV in Berkeley on Friday, Jan. 24.
1. Elianne Douglas-Miron def. Ebba Unden; 7-5, 7-5
2. Maeva Razakasoa def. Grace Ysidora; 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 10-5
3. Julija Lukac def. Julie Gerard; 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 10-5
4. Andjela Nemcevic def. Hayley Thompson, 7-5, 6-3
5. Riko Shimizu def. Karolina Rozenberg, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 10-6
6. Natali Coronel def. Laura Eales, 6-1; 6-0
1. Ebba Unden/Maeva Razakasoa def. Elianne Douglas-Miron/Riko Shimizu, 7-5
2. Julie Gerard/Karolina Rozenberg def. Natali Coronel/Grace Ysidora, 6-3
3. Andjela Nemcevic/Julija Lukac def. laura Eales/Holly Reid, 6-1