March 23, 2013
SEATTLE -- No. 42 Washington ran into another top-ranked team on Saturday, falling to No. 4 UCLA, 7-0. The Bruins squeaked out the doubles point, but dominated singles to drop the Dawgs to 9-7 on the season and 1-4 in the Pac-12. The good news for Washington is it has played the conference's four toughest teams and now has a chance for a strong finish.
The Dawgs battled hard in doubles led by a big upset from Elianne Douglas-Miron and Riko Shimizu. The duo played tremendous tennis on Douglas-Miron's birthday to defeat 12th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton of UCLA, 8-3. However, neither of the other doubles team could rally for a victory and UCLA earned the point.
In singles, the Bruins showed off their depth, sweeping all six matches. UCLA played five ranked players and had one other that did not even make their lineup. Andjela Nemcevic played Washington's most impressive match going toe to toe with No. 5-ranked Anderson. The No. 1 players played long rallies, bun in the end the Bruin prevailed, 6-3, 6-1.
The rest of the Dawgs singles players combined to win just nine games, each losing in straight sets.
Washington will be back at home next weekend for a pair of crucial Pac-12 matches against No. 19 Arizona State and Arizona. The Sun Devils come to Seattle on Friday, March 29, at 1:30 p.m., while the Wildcats will be in town on Saturday, March 30, at noon.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 23, 2013 - Seattle, Wash.
Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 4 UCLA 7 - No. 42 Washington 0
1. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu def. No. 12 Anderson/Morton, 8-3.
2. No. 28 Dolehide/Montez def. Coronel/Shimizu, 8-4.
3. Harrison/McPhillips def. Lukac/Nemcevic, 8-4.
Order of finish: 1,3,2.
1. No. 5 Robin Anderson def. Andjela Nemcevic, 6-3, 6-1.
2. No. 86 Pamela Montez def. Grace Ysidora, 6-2, 6-1.
3. No. 58 Kyle McPhillips def. Elianne Douglas-Miron, 6-2, 6-0.
4. No. 95 Chanelle Van Nguyen def. Julija Lukac, 6-3, 6-0.
5. No. 85 Catherine Harrison def. Natali Coronel, 6-1, 6-0.
6. Courtney Dolehide def. Riko Shimizu, 6-2, 6-1.
Order of finish: 5,4,2,6,3,1.