Feb. 15, 2013
SEATTLE -- No. 24 Washington fell in the first round of the ITA Team Indoors as No. 1 Virginia looked every bit its ranking, winning 4-0. The Dawgs hung tough in front of their home crowd, but could not match the firepower of the Cavaliers, who have won the event four of the past five seasons.
The Dawgs battled in doubles, but couldn't overcome Virginia. The No. 15 doubles team of Justin Shane and Mac Styslinger defeated Marton Bots and Max Manthou, 8-3. Clinching the point for Virginia were Alex Domijan and Mitchell Frank who defeated Viktor Farkas and Jeff Hawke, 8-5.
In singles, the Cavs have four players ranked in the top-25. Top-ranked Alex Domijan, playing at No. 2, defeated Bots, 6-2, 6-0. At No. 5, 25th-ranked Ryan Shane defeated Farkas, 6-1, 6-1. Finally, fifth-ranked Styslinger clinched the team victory, winning at No. 4. Styslinger defeated Manthou, 6-4, 6-2.
Kyle McMorrow was in the midst of a great battle with No. 7 Jarmere Jenkings, but there match was stopped as well. Jenkins won the first set, 6-4, but McMorrow was leading the second set, 4-3.
Washington will be right back at it on Saturday when it takes on No. 8 Oklahoma at 8:30 p.m. The Dawgs will be back at the Nordstrom Center to face the Sooners who also fell in the first round, losing to Duke, 4-1.
Washington Men's Tennis
Nordstrom Tennis Center
Seattle, Wash. - February 15, 2013
Virginia 4, Washington 0
1. Egger/McMorrow (WASH) vs. #4 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVA), 6-7 unfinished
2. #15 J. Shane/Uriguen (UVA) def. Bots/Manthou (WASH), 8-3
3. Domijan/Frank (UVA) def. Farkas/Hawke (WASH), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. #18 Kyle McMorrow (WASH) vs. #7 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA), 4-6, 4-3 unfinished
2. #1 Alex Domijan (UVA) def. Marton Bots (WASH), 6-2, 6-0
3. Emmett Egger (WASH) vs. Mitchell Frank (UVA), 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 unfinished
4. #5 Mac Styslinger (UVA) def. Max Manthou (WASH), 6-4, 6-2
5. #25 Ryan Shane (UVA) def. Viktor Farkas (WASH), 6-1, 6-1
6. Jeff Hawke (WASH) vs. Justin Shane (UVA), 6-4, 4-0 unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 5, 4