Jan. 25, 2013
SEATTLE -- The Washington men's tennis team moved to 3-2 with a 6-1 victory over Portland on Friday night at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Dawgs took care of business in doubles and then used five straight-set victories to breeze past the Pliots.
In doubles, Washington got things started at the No. 3 spot with Marton Bots and Kyle McMorrow then clinched the doubles point, winning 8-3 over Alex Ferrero and Ratan Gill of Portland at the No. 1 spot.
In singles, it was Max Manthou who was first to finish, defeating Ferrero, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 3 spot. He was followed by straight-set wins by Nicholas Kamisar and Farkas, both 6-2, 6-2, to clinch the team victory for the Dawgs.
Washington would add two more wins, including Hawke at No. 5 singles and McMorrow moving to 5-0 in duals by beating Michael Hukwo, 6-3, 6-2. The win was the 82nd of McMorrow's career, meaning he needs just one more to move into a tie for eighth all-time at Washington.
Bots dropped the lone single match of the day, falling to Gill, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 2 singles.
The Dawgs will remain at home for another week for two more duals next weekend. Friday, Washington takes on Santa Clara at 5 p.m., while Sunday Washington takes on Boise State at noon. Both matches will be back at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis
Nordstrom Tennis Center - Seattle, Wash.
January 25, 2013
No. 22 Washington 6, Portland 1
1) Bots/McMorrow d. Ferrero/Gill, 8-3.
2) Barnhart/Manthou and Hukwo Martin, 5-5.
3) Farkas/Hawke d. Devel/Andreason, 8-0.
Order of Finish: 3, 1.
1) Kyle McMorrow d. Michael Hukwo, 6-3, 6-2.
2) Ratan Gill d. Marton Bots, 7-5, 6-4.
3) Max Manthou d. Alex Ferrero, 6-1, 6-2.
4) Viktor Farkas d. Justin Guay, 6-2, 6-2.
5) Jeff Hawke d. Paxton Devel, 6-4, 7-5.
6) Nicholas Kamisar d. Jackson Martin, 6-2, 6-2.
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 5, 2, 1.