Jan. 20, 2013
HONOLULU, Hawai'i -- Washington women's tennis improved to 3-0 with a shutout of Cal Poly to complete a perfect weekend in paradise. A day after the Dawgs shutout Hawai'i, Washington did the same to Cal Poly, losing only a single set.
Washington began the day by winning the doubles point, winning two of three matches. Riko Shimizu and Elianne Douglas-Miron won at No. 1 doubles, beating Alexa Lee and Sophia Bott of Cal Poly, 8-4. Grace Ysidora and Natali Coronel clinched the point, winning at No.2 over Gabrielle Gatewood and Louise Oxnevad, 8-5.
In singles, Ysidora improved to 3-0 at No. 1 singles, beating Oxnevad, 6-4, 6-1. Nemcevic followed that up with a win over Cornea, 6-4, 6-1.
Other winners in straight sets were Lukac, Capucine Gregoire and Shimuzu. Lukac defeated Bott, 6-0, 6-1, while Gregoire defeated Webb, 6-4, 6-2. Finally, Shimuzu beat Gatewood, 6-3, 6-4.
Douglas-Miron was the lone Dawgs to need a third set, but she completed the shutout, defeating Lee, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0.
Next up for the Huskies will be the ITA National Team Indoor Qualifying. Washington will head to Los Angeles to face USF on January 26, at noon. If the Huskies win that match, they would face either UCLA or San Diego in round two the following day.
Washington Women's Tennis
UH Tennis Complex
January 20, 2013
No. 47 Washington 7, Cal Poly 0
1. Riko Shimizu/Elianne Douglas-Miron (UW) def. Alexa Lee/Sophia Bott (CP), 8-4.
2. Grace Ysidora/Natali Coronel (UW) def. Gabrielle Gatewood/Louise Oxnevad (CP), 8-5.
3. Jennifer Cornea/Ane McPike (CP) def. Julija Lukac/Andjela Nemcevic (UW), 8-5.
1. Grace Ysidora (UW) dev. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 6-4, 6-1.
2. Andjela Nemcevic (UW) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 6-4, 6-1.
3. Elianne Douglas-Miron def. Alexa Lee (CP), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0.
4. Julija Lukac (UW) def. Sophia Bott (CP), 6-0, 6-1.
5. Capucine Gregoire (UW) def Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-4, 6-2.
6. Riko Shimizu (UW) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-3, 6-4.
Natali Coronel (UW) def. Ane McPike (CP), 7-5 (def.).
Brianna Kemp (UW) d. Haley Kepler, 6-3, 6-3.