March 8, 2013
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 31 Washington began the Pac-12 season with a tough assignment, facing No. 20 Stanford on its home court. The Cardinal took care of business, knocking off the Huskies, 7-0.
Washington fell behind 1-0 after dropping the doubles point. Kristie Ahn and Nicole Gibbs defeated the Husky duo of Elianne Douglas-Miron and Natali Coronel and Grace Ysidora, 8-3, clinching the point for the Cardinal.
In singles, Washington lost all six matches in straight sets, beginning with No. 14 Krista Hardebeck knocking off Douglas-Miron, 6-0, 6-2. In all, the Cardinal has five ranked singles players and each was able to take care of its opponent from the Huskies.
No. 48 Ahn knocked off Ysidora, 6-0, 6-4, followed by No. 103 Tan beating Lukac, 6-2, 6-2 for the clincher.
The teams played on after Stanford clinched and it was the defending NCAA Champion Gibbs defeating No. 124 Andjela Nemcevic, 6-4, 6-0. It was the first loss in the three tries for Nemcevic since being moved to No. 1.
Finishing off the afternoon was No. 31 Ellen Tsay defeating Coronel, 6-2, 6-2, followed by Lindsey Kostas knocking off Shimizu, 7-5, 7-5.
The Dawgs will face a quick turnaround as it continues its Bay Area trip with No. 18 California on Saturday. Washington will face its second Pac-12 opponent of the year when it takes on the Bears at noon in Berkeley.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 8, 2013 - Stanford, Calif.
Taube Tennis Center
No. 20 Stanford 7, No. 31 Washington 0
1) Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu (WASH) 8-2
2) Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. Coronel/Ysidora (WASH) 8-3
3) Natalie Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) d. Lukac/Nemcevic (WASH) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 87 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 124 Andjela Nemcevic (WASH) 6-4, 6-0
2) No. 48 Kristie Ahn (STAN) d. Grace Ysidora (WASH) 6-0, 6-4
3) No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. Elianne Douglas-Miron (WASH) 6-0, 6-2
4) No. 103 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Julija Lukac (WASH) 6-3, 6-1
5) No. 31 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Natali Coronel (WASH) 6-2, 6-2
6) Lindsey Kostas (STAN) d. Riko Shimizu (WASH) 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6