March 15, 2013
EUGENE, Ore. -- No. 43 Washington earned a big road victory on Friday, knocking off Oregon, 5-2. The Dawgs improved to 9-5 (1-2 Pac-12) with the win. Washington won the doubles point, then three-straight singles matches to cruise to the victory.
The Dawgs began by winning the doubles point, needing all three matches to do so. Andjela Nemcevic and Julija Lukac began by winning at No. 3. The Serbian duo knocked off the team of Brooke Hughes and Sofia Hager of Oregon, 8-3.
After dropping the match at No. 1, Natali Coronel and Grace Ysidora clinched the point, winning at No. 2. The pair of Dawgs defeated Julia Metzger and Pascale Neubert.
In singles, Lukac started the Dawgs off with an early point, defeating Hager at No. 4. She lost just four games on the way to a 6-3, 6-1 victory. Following up Lukac's win was Ysidora, beating Patricia Skowronski at No. 2, 6-4, 6-2.
Clinching the match for Washington was Riko Shimizu who won at No. 6. The sophomore defeated Lan Buttner of Oregon, 7-5, 6-4, to clinch Washington's first Pac-12 win of the season.
Oregon won two of the final three matches after the Dawgs clinched, but Natali Coronel did earn one more victory for Washington. Coronel defeated Pascale Neubert at No. 5, 7-5, 6-3.
The Dawgs will now return to campus for four-straight Pac-12 matches at home. Next weekend, Washington takes on two of the top teams in the country in USC and UCLA. The following weekend, Arizona State and Arizona come to town.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 15, 2013 - Eugene, Ore.
Student Tennis Center
No. 41 Washington 5, No. 55 Oregon 2
1. Skowronski/Long def. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu, 8-4.
2. Coronle/Ysidora def. Metzger/Neubert, 8-6.
3. Nemcevic/Lukac def. Hughes/Hager, 8-3.
Order of finish: 3,1,2.
1. Nicole Long def. Andjela Nemcevic, 6-0, 7-5.
2. Grace Ysidora def. Patricia Skowronski, 6-4, 6-2.
3. Julia Metzger def. Elianne Douglas-Miron, 5-7, 6-4, 10-3.
4. Julija Lukac def. Sofia Hager, 6-3, 6-1.
5. Natali Coronel def. Pascale Neubert, 7-5, 6-3.
6. Riko Shimizu def. Lana Buttner, 7-5, 6-4.
Order of finish: 4,2,6,1