March 3, 2013
SEATTLE -- Washington improved to 8-3 with a convincing 7-0 victory over Iowa State. The Dawgs finished off a weekend sweep after returning to the Nordstrom Center for the first time in six weeks.
The Dawgs began by winning the doubles point, led by a shutout at No. 3. Julija Lukac and Andjela Nemcevic teamed to win 8-0 over Meghan Cassens and Ana Gasporic of Iowa State. Clinching the doubles point were Elianne Douglas-Miron and Riko Shimizu who defeated the Iowa State No. 1 team, 8-5.
In singles, Washington breezed to the victory with four straight-set victories. Lukac led it off, losing just one game in a thrashing of Jenna Langhorst at No. 4. Moments later, Natali Coronel completed her victory over Emma Waites, 6-0, 6-2.
Clinching the win for Washington was Douglas-Miron who defeated Cassens, 6-1, 6-3. Nemcevic followed that up with the final straight-set victory, beating Simona Cacciuttolo, 6-1, 6-3. It was the second-straight victory since moving to the No. 1 singles spot for Nemcevic.
Finishing off the Husky sweep were Grace Ysidora and Sarah Steele. Ysidora bounced back from dropping the first set to beat Ksenia Pronina, 3-6, 6-3, 10-7. Steele also won in a 10-point third set, defeating Caroline Hague Anderson, 4-6, 6-1, 10-6.
Next up for Washington will be a trip to the Bay Area to begin Pac-12 play. The Dawgs face No. 26 Stanford on Friday, March 8, at 1:30 in Palo Alto and No. 9 California on Saturday, March 9, at noon in Berkeley.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 3, 2013 - Seattle, Wash.
Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 36 Washington 7, Iowa State 0
1. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu def. Pronina/Langhorst, 8-5.
2. Coronel/Ysidora led Cacciuttolo/Anderson, 6-1 (unfinished).
3. Lukac/Nemcevic def. Cassens/Gasparovic, 8-0.
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. Andjela Nemcevic def. Simona Cacciuttolo, 6-1, 6-3.
2. Grace Ysidora def. Ksenia Pronina, 3-6, 6-3, 10-7.
3. Elianne Douglas-Miron def. Meghan Cassens, 6-1, 6-3.
4. Julija Lukac def. Jenna Langhorst, 6-0, 6-1.
5. Natali Coronel def. Emma Waites, 6-0, 6-2.
6. Sarah Steele def. Caroline Hague Anderson, 4-6, 6-1, 10-6.
Order of Finish: 4,5,3,1,2,6